From Zero to Ukulele Teacher in 30
For quite some time, and I do mean quite > some > time, I've wanted to learn the ukulele. Here's the deal though: I didn't want to practice. Maybe I liked the IDEA of being a ukulele player more than actually being one. But this idea still hung around, even when I wasn't doing a thing about it.
Then one day my friend Krystle Baller, founder of Pachyderm Music Lab, invited me to be part of Girls Rock Charlotte (GRC). I was super excited. GRC totally aligns with the heart focus of my therapy practice, Amy Williams Wellness, and my creative brand, Wanda Petunia. I was excited to realize we have similar missions of empowering girls and using creative expression as the process.
Krystle connected me with GRC and asked me about teaching the girl campers a Wanda Petunia workshop (listening to your heart and making plushie hearts) and to be a Band Manager. As Band Manager, I would help the girls form a band over the course of a week (future blogs for all the above).
Then she dropped the dream bombshell... would I like to be a ukelele instructor?
Let me insert here: I immensely respect Krystle. She has founded her own business that also empowers women and girls through music and much more. She's one of the most gifted, get-it-done, and wise women I know... so could she have gone off her rock star rocker with this request? At the time she asked, I knew virtually nothing about the ukulele and had only just started joining her monthly "Stitch and Bitch" ~ where women get together to embroider empowering phrases and write and play songs.
If she was asking me to do this, did it mean she actually believed I could?
I will fast forward to tell you that she did believe I could >>> and drum roll... I did! I was a ukulele instructor for GRC. It was a super valuable lesson in self-care and self-love. I learned so much and wanted to share it with you, lest you have some dream you've not been doing much about. Going from zero ukulele experience to being a teacher in less than 30 days offers a collection of lessons in the self-love journey.
To accomplish this goal, I realized how effective and valuable it is to break things down... And, the good news is >> these steps can apply to so many things you may want to change/start/do/try. I have wanted to play uke for quite > some > time > aka 4-ever. And this is how the fire got lit:
1) Find a Believer ~ this is someone who truly believes in you. Having this person is so very important, and will make a quantum leap in whatever you are wanting to do. Thank you Krystle!
2) A Fun Team Member aka X-tra support helps ~ I was grateful for Zayna - my much more talented than me co-teacher. She was gracious (and uniquely fashionable) and a positive collaborator in this process.
3) Bite Size Steps ~ break the whole thing down, you really just need to start with a few small steps (or in my case chords). No need to memorize everything, just a few things!
4) Be a Teacher ASAP ~ teaching what you learn is effective and empowering. If you learn something and immediately teach it, this reinforces the new memory in your muscles and mind!
5) Add a Fun Factor ~ GRC was so fun. The girls wrote lyrics and songs and chose chords to try. There was guidance on what chords went well together, but it was a very free creative process focused on play. Make FUN a big ingredient!
6) Connect with a Community ~ play with others, dream with others, create with others! The girls who were interested in learning the ukulele became a little community. We would meet to practice the Girls Rock theme song and reinforce learning A minor and C chords!
7) Integrate What You Create ~ acknowledge what you learn and achieve and Be PROUD! It's so easy to accomplish something, minimize it and move on... so really absorb what you learn and do... soak it up... and be proud of you and grateful for those who helped you!
Disclaimer: I am not far enough along to take students ~ I know, I'm sorry! But the GRC experience got me inspired and now I am more likely to pick up my uke and just play without feeling inhibited because I am more accomplished than ever!
If you want to go from Zero to Ukulele Teacher in less than 30 days and practice more lessons in self-care and self-love >>> then these steps will likely help you too. I offer these handy ideas to support you in ALL KINDS OF DREAMS. Write and let me know what you think/try/create/accomplish! Wanda and I want to know!
Ready... 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4... Rock on!